Barry Milliken



Suffolk Permits

Suffolk County:
 I have listed below the Suffolk towns and incorporated villages where I do most of my work.  Portions of some towns are administered by incorporated villages
How to get a building permit:
After your project drawings are completed, they need to be submitted along with your survey to the correct building department.  If your project is an addition, you also submit your Certificate of Occupancy and (if you are in a flood zone) your Flood Elevation Certificate.  If your property lies within an incorporated village, you submit your plans to your Village Building Department.  If not, you submit your plans to your Town Building Department. 

The Building Department will review your plans for compliance with 5 types of laws:

·         The Town or Village zoning code.  A zoning code divides a town or village into zoning districts, each with different restrictions on building type and size, area, height, setbacks from property lines and other requirements.   Most zoning codes are published online (see individual links below) but often the district maps are not, so you need to call the building department to find out what district you lot is in.  If your plans don’t comply with the code, you may be able to apply for a zoning variance and appear before the  Zoning Board of Appeals.

·         The New York State Residential Building Code.  This is a 600 page book specifying thousands of requirements covering the design of rooms, stairs, structural members, electrical and plumbing systems, energy conservation and many other aspects of construction.

·         The Suffolk County Health department requirements for septic systems.  If you have a private septic system your project may require that it be expanded.  Any new or expanded septic system plan must obtain a separate permit from the county.

·         The New York State Environmental Law.  If your project is adjacent to wetlands or waterways a separate permit from the state is required.

·         If your Village has created an Architectural Review Board, you and your architect must make a presentation to them to show that the materials and exterior character of the house are aesthetically compatible with the surrounding houses.

If your project requires septic or wetland permits, I recommend hiring a permit expeditor to apply for all permits.  If not, either the project owner or (more usually) the project contractor can apply for the building permit.

Towns and Villages:
Each of the communities below has its own building department and its own local zoning law:

Babylon 11702   
Amityville 11701    11708   
Babylon 11702   
Lindenhurst 11757   
Brookhaven 11719   
Belle Terre 11777
Bellport 11713   
Old Field 11733
Patchogue 11772   
Poquott 11733
Shoreham 11786   
Port Jefferson 11777   
Lake Grove 11755   
Huntington 11743   11746  11750  
Asharoken 11768
Huntington Bay 11743
Lloyd Harbor 11743
Northport 11768   
Islip 11751   
Brightwaters 11718   
Islandia 11749    11760   
Ocean Beach 11770   
Saltaire 11706
Riverhead 11901   
Smithtown 11787   
Nissequogue 11780
Head of the Harbor 11780
Unincorporated Areas:
The communities listed below are NOT incorporated.  Therefore they do not have a zoning code or building department.  If your project is in one of these, you submit your plans to your Town Building Department.
Bay Shore
Blue Point 11715   
Brentwood 11717   
Calverton 11933   
Centereach 11720   
Centerport 11721   
Central Islip 11722   
Cherry Grove 11782
Cold Spring Harbor 11724   
Commack 11725   
Coram 11727   
Davis Park 11772
Deer Park 11729   
East Islip 11730   
East Northport 11731   
East Setauket
Farmingville 11738   
Great River,
Greenlawn 11740   
Hauppauge 11788   
Holbrook 11741   
Holtsville 00501    00544    11742   
Islip Terrace
Jamesport 11947   
Kings Park
Manorville 11949   
Melville 11747    11775   
Middle Island 11953   
Miller Place 11764   
Mount Sinai 11766   
North Babylon 11703   
Oakdale 11769   
Ocean Ridge 11772
Pines 11782
Port Jefferson Station 11776   
Ridge 11961   
Rocky Point 11778   
Ronkonkoma 11779   
Saint James
Sayville 11782   
Sound Beach 11789   
South Jamesport 11970   
Stony Brook 11790    11794   
Upton 11973   
Wading River
West Babylon 11704    11707   
West Islip
West Sayville 11796   
Wyandanch 11798   
Yaphank 11980